UK BLACK HISTORY MONTH October 2022 – FEATURED KEYNOTE
This year’s Black History Month theme is ‘Time for Change: Actions Not Words’
Develop your empathy skills and racial awareness to celebrate diversity and create an environment of trust and inclusivity at work. We’ll explore compassion as empathy in action and look at concrete steps to break bias and create change.
What are some of the challenges and damaging assumptions faced by your black and brown-skinned colleagues in the workplace?
See something, say something! How can we take steps to tackle discrimination by calling out and calling in?
This inspiring, engaging virtual keynote speech shares workplace data, tools, personal stories and interactive exercises to help you see the value of ensuring everyone feels they belong.
Walk away feeling better informed, and inspired to be a courageous colleague, a supportive ally and a catalyst for change. There’ll be opportunities to interact, reflect and share via the chat function.
Learning objectives can include:
- Understand the key components of Empathy and how to become a more empathetic colleague, friend and family member
- Learn about the different types of empathy. Move from thinking to feeling to doing, recognising that compassion is empathy in action
- Discover the ways that empathy and perspective-taking can help us interrupt bias and be better allies
- Take a closer look at – and learn to challenge – some of the damaging racial biases and assumptions that fuel misunderstandings and microaggressions
- Explore some common examples of microaggressions and strategies for responding to aggressors
- Discuss the difference between calling out vs calling in – and how to decide which is appropriate, given your situation
Session duration and format: 40-60 minute virtual keynote OR 60-90 minute virtual workshop with breakouts